The aim of an aircraft maintenance mechanic is to ensure the safety of the aircraft is complete and reliable before any activity, problem-solving is a daily task. Getting an aircraft off the ground requires a team effort and an aircraft maintenance mechanic holds the baton before passing it on to the other team members. The
Pick a career as an aircraft maintenance mechanic
The aim of an aircraft maintenance mechanic is to ensure the safety of the aircraft is complete and reliable before any activity, problem-solving is a daily task.
Getting an aircraft off the ground requires a team effort and an aircraft maintenance mechanic holds the baton before passing it on to the other team members.
The most important role of an aircraft maintenance mechanic is to look after the safety of everyone in the breathless bird before it departs. They must detect irregularities on parts that need mending or changing. An overall detailed inspection is carried out and archived for reference. It is essential that electronic, mechanical and structure is included in the inspection.
Characteristics of an aircraft maintenance mechanic
Here are some of the characteristics that make a great AMM:
– You have to be sharp, assertive, courageous and brave enough to rip parts apart and confidently reassemble them.
– It would benefit an AMM or AME aircraft maintenance engineer to have an eagle eye and be even-tempered.
– Due to the complexity of the job, being well versed in technology will be to your advantage. You will go through numerous tests. Therefore a zeal for technology helps.
– Finding solutions is a big chunk of the daily grind. You will experience different problems on different days, so always being ready to troubleshoot is a favourable trait in an AMM.
– You also have to be 18 years and older, a quick thinker, love practical assignments and be a real problem-solver.
The career demands for AMMs and AMES can be overwhelming since the industry is soaring and to qualify as an AMM or an AME, you will have to pass three tests: a written, oral and practical test.
However, prospective candidates must make sure they find registered and accredited institutions, like Debela Training & Management that offers aircraft technical training for AME aircraft maintenance engineers and AMMs.
Courses are offered to meet the customer’s requirements and can be presented on-site at the beautiful accommodation or off-site. Some of our certified courses include the following:
You may also want to specialise and become an AME aircraft maintenance engineer. This is a higher rank than a technician and it comes with more responsibilities. Aircraft engineers are responsible for construction, repair and maintenance and aircraft can only be certified as worthy to fly by an AME.
Anyone between the ages of 16-24 can apply, but maths and physics are required subjects. The full course duration is three years with two and a half years for theory and practical training as well as six months of job training on a fully operational aircraft.
So, if you feel this is the career for you, what are you waiting for?